In honor of Martin Luther King Jr and the National Day of Service, the Kootenai County Democrats encourage every Democrat to engage in a service activity that benefits our community. With the ongoing pandemic and economic crisis there are many members of our community that need support. Here is a list of organizations that can use your help. There are so many ways to serve others in our community—we hope you will find something that makes both you and the receiver feel good!
- Community Action Partnership-the CDA food bank: cap4action.org
- Post Fall Food Bank: postfallsfoodbank.org
- Safe Passage: safepassageid.org
- St Vincent de Paul: stvincentdepaulnorthidaho.org
The above organizations make it very easy and safe to donate online.
Some other ideas to serve our friends and neighbors:
- Make a gift basket for our local health care workers
- Knit or crochet a blanket for the homeless shelter at St Vincent de Paul or for families in crisis at Safe Passage
- Shovel a neighbor’s driveway
The Kootenai County Democrats are committed to living up to the ideals and values represented by MLK Jr and the National Day of Service. In 2020, despite the Covid-19 restrictions, we contributed to and helped support several service groups in our area. We donated to the CDA and Post Falls food banks; made donations of cell phones and Chromebooks to Safe Passage (women’s shelter) and Chromebooks to Lakeland Junior High School. We also supported KEA and the CDA Arts and Culture Alliance for its Riverstone Concert Series. Though restricted by both budget and COVID restraints, we are proud of the good we did in our community.